History & Past Shows
Congleton Gang Show started in 1972 as part of the town’s charter year anniversary celebrations. 2017 will be the 24th show since the original.
The second OUR GANG was held in 1975 and the show has continued every two years since then with casts of over 100 each time. Many of the performers have their first taste of appearing on a public stage with OUR GANG. Since 1972 over 2000 new faces have taken part in a Congleton Gang Show
In 1979 the show was assessed by the Scout Association and was awarded the coveted Gang Show red scarf – the emblem of Gang Shows everywhere – demonstrating that the show standards have been judged worthy to be called a “Gang Show”.
Cast numbers vary, but are always between 100 and 150 each time. Each show needs around 3000 costumes and over a thousand different songs have been performed over the years.
The first shows were held in the Town Hall then in 1985 OUR GANG moved to the new Daneside Community Theatre after the privilege in the previous year to be the first group of artists to appear on the theatre’s opening night when all the town’s theatre groups and musical societies presented the opening gala show.
Since then OUR GANG has staged its biennial productions at Daneside Theatre with the continued support and co-operation from the Theatre’s Trust to meet the special requirements needed for a Gang Show’s unique concept. Each time our Gang is on stage there are 7 performances and over 2000 people enjoy the show in the audience – that’s over 40,000 people who have seen Our Gang in the last forty years!
We appreciate the support of the Daneside Community Theatre in staging our shows there every two years – www.danesidetheatre.co.uk. It’s a marvellous facility that provides great opportunities for the town of Congleton. We also welcome the continued interest and support from Congleton Town Council – http://www.congleton-tc.gov.
2017 will be our 24th show since the original one in 1972
- We estimate that over 2000 new faces have been in a Congleton Gang Show
- The numbers in the cast varies over the years but is always between 100 to 150
- Estimated number of costumes in a show is 3000 Over a 1000 different songs performed over the years
- For every person on stage there is also one support staff, including wardrobe, makeup, back stage team, stewards, front of house team, lighting, production, sound, dressing room team, catering etc etc
- Each time Our Gang is on stage there are 7 performances and over 2000 people enjoy the spectacle in the audience – that’s over 40,000 people who have seen Our Gang in the last forty years!